Friday, February 25, 2011

First Screen Print

A few years ago I bought a screen printing kit by Daler Rowney. I finally found the courage to use it. However I did get a little help from a video I watched on DMTV by Linda and Laura Kemshall. Instead of using the acrylic paints that came with the set I took Laura's advise and used procion dyes.  I only made two prints as I was short on the thickening  ingredients.          Design Matters TV


This picture shows the colour being added to the flower, using markel paint sticks and some cheap tooth brushes. You also need to know how to use paint sticks, as they are not applied directly onto the fabric. I applied my freezer paper stencil back on top of the flower shape and applied the paint to the freezer paper and used  the brushes to pull the paint onto the fabric. A good stencil brush is also needed.

Here is is red one, its amazing how easy it is to achieve shading.  
You can see how different they look using different colours on the same image. 



I have added more background colour by adding a trellis and then stamping on top with a flower motif. Using fabric paint and fabric felt tips I coloured in the flowers and stems. A fine pen is also a good idea to outline the flower which helps to  add definition. I also refer to the Kemshalls book for technics.
The Painted Quilt: Paint and Print Techniques for Color on Quilts
l

1 comment:

  1. Impressive! I like these experiments and I think you're getting great results!

    ReplyDelete