Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Caution: Sun glasses needed for this one

Following Laura Kemshall's DMTV show I got out my hand dyed fabric and gave it a go. This first Photo shows the four different pieces I used. These were all dyed on the same day using the same dye lots, so it was easy to get a good colour combination.










I cut the pieces into 4.5" x 1.5" rectangles. Sorted them into piles of matching colours and then sewed four pieces together to make 4.5 inch squares. Now the fun begins, I lay them out on the floor and try to find a nice composition. Getting all the kids involved as well. Best to walk away and come back for a fresh look. Not sure if I stitched them back in the right order or not. Rail Fence is a good way to practice your 1/4" seams.


This is the finished piece. Its hard to judge where to place the pieces. I see some now that I could have placed differently but I'm not fond of the ripper so I may leave well alone. 


No comments:

Post a Comment